Here are IWEN’s links to Sample Comment Scripts and Resource Pages with curated resources and information for each Monument under review by the Department of the Interior (DOI). We hope this supports you to write strong, well-argued comments to the DOI’s public comment docket. Be sure to address economic issues! Here’s some great talking points to add to your comments: Data Show Commercial Use of Public Lands is NOT an Economic Benefit.
Important Note: Signing an online petition put together by the Sierra Club or Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, for example, does not have the same impact as writing up your own comment and submitting it yourself to the docket. Unfortunately, when these groups upload the bundle of comments they collect, each of those bundles, submitted by each group, will only count as one comment when uploaded to regulations.gov. So please take the time to write your own comments! You will create much more impact.
For more ideas on how to write a strong submission, click here: “Suggested Outline or “Hot Topic” Review List for Comments.”
National Monuments Under Threat
- Basin and Range National Monument, Nevada, 2015.
- Bears Ears National Monument, Utah, 2016 – Resource Page. View Bears Ears Sample Comment Script
- Berryessa Snow Mountain, California, 2015
- Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, Colorado, 2000
- Carrizo Plain National Monument, California, 2001
- Cascade Siskiyou, Oregon, established 2000, expanded 2017
- Craters of the Moon, Idaho, established 1924, expanded 2000
- Giant Sequoia National Monument, California, 2000.
- Gold Butte National Monument, Nevada, 2016 – Sample Comment Script
- Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument, Arizona, 2000.
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah, 1996. – Sample Comment Script
- Hanford Reach National Monument, Washington, 2000
- Ironwood Forest National Monument, Arizona, 2000
- Katahdin Wood and Waters, Maine, 2016
- Mojave Trails National Monument, California, 2016
- Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument, New Mexico, 2014
- Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, New Mexico, 2013
- Sand to Snow National Monument, California, 2016
- San Gabriel Mountains, California, 2014
- Sonoran Desert National Monument, Arizona, 2001 – Sample Comment Script
- Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument, Montana, 2001.
- Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona, 2000.
- Marianas Trench Marine National Monument, Pacific Ocean, 2009.
- Northeast Canyons & Seamounts Marine National Monument, off the coast of New England, 2016
- Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument, Pacific Ocean, established 2009, expanded 2014.
- Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Pacific Ocean, established 2006, expanded 2016 – Sample Comment Script
- Rose Atoll Marine National Monument, Pacific Ocean, 2009.
photo: Giant Sequoia in Giant Sequoia National Monument. June, 2007